SINGA UK is launching its first "Chapter" in the London boroughs of Hackney & Tower Hamlets and we are looking for enthusiastic, well-connected people to take the lead and help us become a key link between locals, community leaders and organisations.
There are more than half a million people living in Hackney & Tower Hamlets alone, as well as huge numbers of people who work and visit every day. Alongside the hundreds of organisations and people doing amazing work in the community, there is much to learn and many opportunities to explore.
Working within a small, dedicated team you will play a key role in developing and implementing a locally-led strategy designed to best serve the needs and interest of the local community. This position would ideally suit freelancers or people on part-time work who have both the interest and capacity to lead our outreach work (approximately two days per week on aggregate) and be a local face of SINGA in meetings and at events.
- Research and make contact with partners, organisations and community leaders in the area
- Oversee the roll-out of Chapter activities created by SINGA Makers and seek out partnership opportunities where possible
- Act as the first point of contact for local entrepreneurs and organisations interested in working with SINGA
- Liaise with the central team on communications for the Chapter and volunteer requirements
- Work with the Director and senior support team as we develop our longer-term strategy, in particular identifying fundraising and capacity-building opportunities where possible
Who you are:
- Someone who can lead teams and make things happen - both independently and as part of the wider SINGA community
- Experience with building and nurturing community, either through an organisation or as a community leader in your own right. You understand and are energised by what it takes to bring people together and to help communities grow
- Comfortable with representing SINGA in public forums (eg presenting at events) and amongst SINGA's stakeholder network
- A strong belief in the principles that underpin everything we do
- Fundraising experience would be an advantage
- You are ideally living in or near Hackney/Tower Hamlets and have an excellent knowledge of the people and places that make the area tick
Being part of the launch of SINGA UK is a unique opportunity to be involved at an exciting time for SINGA's international movement. Your work will help us deliver real impact in SINGA's mission to bring people together across an extraordinary spectrum of community groups, cultures and life experiences.
This is currently an unpaid voluntary position but will evolve into a salaried role as funding becomes available. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this aspect further. The scale and scope of the role and the way it is undertaken is something we are ready to develop with the right person (or persons), to work alongside and support their other projects and commitments.
To register your interest, tell us more about you by submitting details on our "get involved" form below, indicating in the relevant section which positions you are interested in (you're welcome to indicate more than one, if applicable).
If you are not based in Hackney & Tower Hamlets but are interested in bringing SINGA to your area as a Community Leader, we'd love to hear from you (please write to [email protected]).
More about SINGA
SINGA is an international, community-building network enabling locals and newcomers of different backgrounds to connect through the things they love – food, the arts, sport, music, languages, nature, business and so much more.
Founded in Paris in 2012, today SINGA is a community of more than 25,000 people in seven countries: France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Quebec, with new chapters open in Italy - and now the UK!
Find out more about our initial plans here.
Find out about other available ways to get involved with SINGA here.Apply